The appearance of white spots on the nails indicates various malfunctions or diseases in the human body. According to their shape, color, location and number, specialists can draw conclusions about the state of health. If you notice any changes, it is better to immediately contact a specialist, and do not let everything take its course.
White spots on the nails of the fingers — the reason
Such a common disease as leukonychia is popularly called white spots on the nails. It is diagnosed with pathological changes in the plate, which can be caused by infectious and somatic problems in the body. More often, this disease affects women who believe that this is a cosmetic nuisance, and do not attach much importance to it.
Answering the question of why white spots appear on the nails, it is worth noting the main reason — keratization. This violation is of an endogenous or exogenous nature, during which the process of keratinization of the entire nail plate changes. This problem can occur due to microscopic layers and the ingress of air into them, replacing water and fat.
If white spots on the nails of the hands began to appear in a child, then in 80% of cases this is a manifestation of hypovitaminosis. The causes of leukonychia are external in nature and can be caused by:
- mechanical damage to the nail plate: indentation or pinching;
- contacts of unprotected hands with household chemicals, as a result of which white spots may also appear under the fingernails;
- improperly done manicure: extension, cuticle cutting;
- habit of biting nails;
- regular use of low-quality solvents and varnishes.
There are white spots on the nails and due to internal failures in the body caused by:
- abuse of diets — with improper and unbalanced nutrition;
- fungal infections — in this case, white spots on the nails are complemented by a thickening and deformation of the plate, a change in color;
- strong stresses and nervous experiences lead to the appearance of large white spots on the nail plate;
- various diseases: hepatitis, dysbacteriosis, heart failure, anemia or metabolic disorders.
White dots on the nails are called pinpoint leukonychia. On the surface of the plate, they are arranged randomly and appear during mechanical damage, for example, during a manicure. Spots are divided into:
White stripes on the nails are also called stripe leukonychia. They can arise independently or develop from a point, and are caused by such reasons:
- external, for example, plate trauma;
- internal, after poisoning.
Lines on the nails are of 2 types:
If white spots on the nails of the fingers cover the entire plate or are located in the hole of the nail, then this is considered a difficult case and is called total leukonychia. The main causes of plate discoloration are:
- infectious diseases;
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- hormonal disruptions;
- problems with the liver or kidneys and so on
Very often, women wonder why there are white spots on the nails. Answering this question, we can say that they appear when there is a deficiency of zinc in the body or serve as the first symptoms of allergies. And with rapid fatigue, loss of appetite and the appearance of a rash, they indicate a serious illness. In the latter case, you should definitely pass the analysis and visit a specialist.
White spots on toenails — causes
Many people have noticed that they may develop white spots on their toenails. The reason for this problem is wearing uncomfortable, low-quality and tight shoes. In this case, no treatment is required. It is necessary to replace the source of discomfort, and as the injured area of the plate grows, it just needs to be cut off until it completely disappears.
White spots on toenails can also occur for the following reasons:
- lack of calcium;
- improper foot care;
- strong exposure to UV rays.
How to get rid of white spots on nails?
In order for the treatment of white spots on the nails to have an effect, you will first need to eliminate the cause of the occurrence. If the problem is external, then, having removed the irritant, you should wait until the plate grows back. You can speed up this process with:
- oil baths;
- balanced and nutritious nutrition;
- adjusting sleep patterns;
- proper hand and foot hygiene.
If leukonychia of the nails occurred due to internal failures in the body or diseases, then you should contact a mycologist, dermatologist, nephrologist, gastroenterologist or cardiologist. You will be asked to undergo a series of tests:
- donate blood;
- make a scraping for the fungus;
- check hormone levels;
- undergo spectral analysis to study the plate for trace elements.
Vitamins for white spots on nails
Very often, women ask the question that if white spots appear on the nails, what vitamins the human body needs. In this case, it should be said about the lack of various minerals and trace elements (iron, protein, and so on) that are found in meat, eggs, fish, fruits, herbs, vegetables and dairy products. They must be consumed daily in large quantities.
With the manifestation of the disease leukonychia, treatment is prescribed by a specialist. You can drink a comprehensive course of vitamins on your own, which should include A, C, E. These drugs are:
- Aevit – is responsible for cell regeneration and removes antioxidants;
- Cadevit — helps the body to compensate for the lack of vitamins in the body;
- Glutamevit — a complex drug that helps to establish the processes of the immune system;
- Aekol — stimulates the regeneration of damaged cells and helps relieve inflammation;
- Vitasharm — a rich complex that heals the skin, nails and hair.
Baths for white spots on nails
To improve and strengthen nails, you can visit salons or carry out wellness procedures at home on your own. To do this, you need to do different baths. The most popular recipes are:
- Make a weak solution of potassium permanganate, hold your fingers in it for up to 7 minutes, then grease your nails with vegetable oil.
- Dissolve two tablespoons of salt in half a liter of water, hold your nails for half an hour, and then anoint with castor oil.
- Pour one tablespoon of green tea with boiling water, let it brew and cool. Soak your nails for 10 minutes.
- White spots under the nails will disappear if they are dipped in a decoction of oak bark, chamomile or parsley. Keep your hands in the bath for about 15-20 minutes.
Folk remedies for white spots on nails
To get rid of such a nuisance as white spots on the fingernails or for its prevention, you can use folk remedies. The most popular recipes are:
- Mix a tablespoon of chamomile with warmed dark beer to a temperature of 80ºС. Darken it all in a water bath for a quarter of an hour, strain and cool. Dip your fingers there for 25 minutes, and then anoint them with oil.
- Rub fish oil into the nails for 5 minutes, then rinse with water.
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil together, apply on nails for half an hour, and then rinse with warm herbal decoction.
- Mix 5 drops of vitamin A, add a little iodine and 60 ml of almond or olive oil. All this to rub into the nails
- Steam your nails and apply a gruel made from garlic on them. You need to keep the mask for 30 minutes.