You won’t surprise anyone with extended fingernails, this procedure has long and firmly entered the lives of many women, but it turns out that nails are often extended not only on the hands but also on the legs. This is usually done in order to mask cosmetic defects, to give the nails a natural color and shine.
Such a procedure will help solve the problem of an ingrown nail, hide deformed or simply irregularly shaped nails. In addition, the polish lasts longer on extended nails, they will look more well-groomed and attractive without requiring frequent pedicure. And artificial turf will serve as additional protection against harmful influences and may even prevent fungus infection.
Types of toenail extensions
Nail extensions on the legs, as well as on the hands, can be done with gel, acrylic, or just a gel manicure.
- gel toenail extension usually used to get a more natural looking nail. The gel is applied in a thinner layer, which is more comfortable to wear, especially if you prefer closed shoes.
- Acrylic toenail extension finds application when it is necessary to mask the unnatural color of the nail, a ribbed surface, to grow the missing part of the nail plate. In addition, acrylic nails are noticeably stronger than gel nails.
It is understood that the design of toenails is more limited. Usually they make either a neat jacket or a painting only on the thumb, on the rest they simply repeat the elements of the picture. Sometimes an aquarium design is used.
How to do toenail extensions?
Before doing extensions, make sure that you are not allergic to the materials that you are going to use (first of all, if we are talking about acrylic). Extension is done only on healthy nails. It can not be carried out in the presence of cracks and other damage. In addition, you can not build up on the nails affected by the fungus, no matter how much you want to mask the defect. This can only aggravate the disease and deprive you of the opportunity to engage in treatment.
Nail extension on the legs is carried out in the same way as on the hands. The only thing before it is better to do a simple or hardware pedicure. In addition, toenails are never made longer than a few millimeters.
Toenail extension step by step:
- The feet are treated with an antiseptic, after which the cuticle is gently pushed back and the fatty film is removed from the nail with a nail file. The surface of the nail is thoroughly disinfected.
- Material (acrylic or gel) is laid out on the nail plate. This can be done with tips, forms, or simply applied to the surface of the nail. Everything is up to you.
- Unlike building on the arms, on the legs it is quite possible to do without forms, simply by applying the gel in one layer. Although the French extension is still the most popular, when a strip of white is applied to the first layer of a transparent gel, and another layer of a transparent material is applied along the edge of the nail and on top.
- After the material hardens, the edge of the nail is filed, all irregularities and roughness are removed, the surface of the nail is polished to give it an ideal shape.
Since toenails grow much more slowly, the correction of the extension is carried out approximately once every one and a half months. And sometimes one procedure can be enough for the whole summer. If you are tired of extended nails, then you can simply not make adjustments, but file the nail as it grows. If necessary, they can simply be removed, using the same technology as on the hands.